Way back when I was first disabled, I had a therapist suggest that I make a daily numbered list of all that I’m grateful for. I accepted her suggestion, but as I began the assignment, I could only think of one or two things that I appreciated. As the days passed and my wheelchair became more of a permanent reality to me, my list seemed to also grow. I began to learn how important it is to focus on the positive.
One thing that I decided was infinitely better in the chair was pantyhose! Yes, that’s right – I said pantyhose. With one hand paralyzed and my inability to stand, I remember one time struggling to put on a pair of pantyhose and right then making the decision to never do that again!
And then I discovered thigh-highs. Thigh-highs are two separate pieces of hosiery which can be put on from a seated position + no nylon panty to bind you.
I had a girlfriend who told me once that she wished she could wear those, but they always fell down while she walked, which is not a problem for me. Being able to wear thigh-highs is a perk of the wheelchair.
Also, for all of you city bus riders out there, do you remember Charles Schultz’s character Pig-Pen from his Peanuts comic strip? Sometimes a bus passenger gets on and sits down who must be a direct descendant of Pig-Pen.
Each time that happens, I think of how glad I am to be in my own seat! It’s the able-bodied people who have to sit in the squalor.
And, have you ever come into a room where there just are not enough seats? Holiday dinners with a crowd are notorious for this situation.
Well guess what, I have a seat that does travel! Everywhere I go, I bring my seat with me. You can call it advance planning. It must be the boy-scout in me – Be Prepared – is my motto!
Today has been a rough day, so far. It involved a 3 ½ hour journey for what should have been about an hour of travel time. When I finally did make it to the safety of my own home, I knew that I should make a list of what I am grateful for.
- I am grateful to be alive today.
- I am grateful to be married to my best friend.
- I am grateful that I can hear our dryer running and I know that it is drying the towels.
- I am grateful that I was able to complete the errands that I wanted to this morning.
- I am grateful that I was able to relieve Robert, my husband, of these obligations.
- I am grateful that sunshine is filtering through the window and reminding me what a beautiful day it is outside.
- I am grateful that our cats are sleeping contentedly in the warmth of the sunshine.
- I am grateful that although I might get frazzled by the events of the day, I can trust that the Lord loves me.
- I am grateful that Jesus travels with me everywhere I go.
- I am grateful for the life that I have.
In everything, we need to focus on the positive. It’s really the best way to see each day.
What’s your opinion? Please scroll down to the bottom of the page to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.